02 January 2011

Ministry of the Doorkeeper

"Ministry" is such an overused word. And it just feels so darn religious. What does it mean to minister to someone? What is a minister? What qualifies something as ministry?

Come to find out, "minister" comes to English (again through French) from Latin minus, which means "less." Wow. Who knew?

Of course, I immediately think of John the Baptist's response to his disciples' report that Jesus was baptizing people in the Jordan (in John the disciple's gospel): "He must increase, but I must decrease." This is amazing! We must decrease, or become less. And this was such the attitude of Paul, as well, was it not? He said that he is the least in the Kingdom of God. But most of all, was this not the example set of our precious Lord Jesus? He became our servant (lesser one) by taking up the duties of the least of servants in washing the feet of his disciples.

The Psalmist in Psalm 84:10 declares, "For a day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness." Me, too. I would rather be the least of the lesser ones in the house of my God than chill with the dark and abusive ones. I wonder what a doorkeeper did?

Below are potential logo and identity mark for a "Minus" ministry.




No comments:

Post a Comment